Thursday, May 1, 2008

Non-toxic cutting boards.

I have been looking online and in magazines/books to select a nice cutting board that would be non-toxic, environmentally friendly and fairly uncomplicated to maintain. The first thing I did was eliminate plastic cutting boards, I bought a couple of wooden cutting boards from walmart. Then I started reading more about wooden cutting boards and realized the story didn't just end with eliminating plastic. Apparently, the glue used to make wooden cutting boards is formaldehyde-based (try browsing through my favorite website, EWG and look for formaldehyde glues or just google and you will find enough reasons not to buy these boards). Finally selected this nice bamboo cutting board from Totally Bamboo made with food-safe non-formaldehyde glues and free of stains and paints.


I saw a few epicurean cutting surfaces that are supposed to be non-toxic too, at Bed, Bath & Beyond, looks promising...

1 comment:

Jen Kumar said...

Hi.. Think this is Ramya :)
Got here through your other blogs. Love your go-green attitude! I had this same issue earlier this year. I found a board made from recycled paper. I think it also qualifies as petroleum free too!!
http://www.recycline.com/papercuttingboard.html
I been using it since about Feb.March this year. It is very easy to maintain and doesn't suck up all the heavy and aromatic Indian spices :)